Join us for our 10th Annual Edible Books Show!
For the last nine years, Woodland Pattern Book Center has hosted the only edible books event in Milwaukee, in conjunction with The International Edible Book Festival (IEBF). This year, we are excited to broaden our scope, to collaborate and partner with UW-Milwaukee’s Eat Local:: Read Local, which celebrates the partnerships between local restaurants and poets from Milwaukee and Madison, Wisconsin.
Apart from the global scope of the IEBF, Woodland Pattern’s Edible Books Show is, like many of its events, a community-driven gathering that brings together a broad range of Milwaukee-area residents. Local students submit group projects, families create entries together, local chefs explore their literary side in participating, and, conversely, Milwaukee artists from all over the spectrum explore their culinary sides. Even musicians find a way to use their talents: for the last several years, the Edible Quartet have fashioned instruments out of edible materials and performed at the show.
While space is somewhat limited, Woodland Pattern invites anyone interested to call and reserve a spot as a participant in the show—adults and kids, individuals or groups, professional chefs or amateur enthusiasts—anyone who wants to bring an idea to edible, bookish life.
This year we are excited to introduce three judges, including Lindsay Daigle of Eat Local:: Read Local, who will vote on their favorite pieces in the categories of Most Delectable (i.e. the tastiest), Most Creative (best idea), and Best Visual Representation (in terms of construction). In addition, there will be a People’s Choice Award chosen by attendees. Prizes will be awarded in each category and include certificates and merchandise from Art Bar, Adventure Rock Climbing, Lakefront Brewery, Stone Creek Coffee, Lakefront Brewery, Harley Davidson and more!
Participants may enter in the either Community (Adult), Youth, or Professional divisions.
TO REGISTER YOUR EDIBLE BOOK, CONTACT US AT 414.263.5001.
For questions or more information, please contact Amanda at email@example.com.
2016 Festival Award Groups & Categories:
Participants may enter their edible book in 1 of 3 groups:
- Professional (Baker, Chef, Restaurant, etc.)
There are four award categories within each group:
- Best Visual Presentation
- Most Delectable (Appetizing)
- Most Creative
- People’s Choice
Lindsay Daigle, co-curator of Eat Local::Read Local & PhD candidate in poetry at UW-Milwaukee
Jessica Poor, Artist, Founder/Co-Curator of WP's 1st & 2nd Edible Books Show
Max Yela, Book Artist, Special Collections Librarian at UWM's Golda Meir Library, Founder/Co-Curator of WP's 1st & 2nd Edible Books Show
Who can participate?
Whether you’re a professional chef, a food lover, a book artist, a lover of books, the festival is open to anyone in the Milwaukee-area communities. It’s FREE to participate!
If you don’t have time to make your own edible entry, join us in admiring, voting and eating (!) the delicious books anytime between 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm. Tickets to attend are $8 general, $7 students & seniors and $6 members.
12:00 pm – 12:45 pm Participants drop off edible entries at Woodland Pattern
1:00 pm Public Viewing & People’s Choice Award voting begins
2:15 pm Welcome and Introduction of Judges
2:30 pm Judging and Photography
3:30 pm Judges Commentary & Awards
3:45 pm Serenade by the “Edible Flutes”! Eating of books!
- Each edible creation must depict a fictional or non-fictional literary work or literary character. It should relate in some way to a book.
- Entries may be entered as a single person, as an organization or as a 2-4 person team. If on a team, please list ALL of your team members’ names.
- Each creation must be your own.
- Each creation must be edible.
- Complete the official entry form and return it by 8:00PM, THURSDAY MARCH 31ST. The entry form may also be scanned and emailed to Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contestants DO NOT HAVE TO BE PRESENT to receive prizes.
- All entries must be family friendly.
- The show begins at 1:00 PM on Sunday, April 3rd. On that day, please bring your edible book entry to Woodland Pattern between 12:00 PM and 12:45 PM.